Illustrations from My Zoetrope
- 3 1/2 cups shredded carrot
- 2 cups flour (i generally use spelt)
- 1 cup raw vegan sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or other nondairy milk (I generally squeeze in the juice of 1/2 a lemon in to make it a little brighter tasting)
- 3/4 cup sunflower, grapeseed or other light oil
- a big handful raisins
- a handful slivered almonds
Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9 x 13 pan. Mix all dry ingredients thoroughly. Fold in carrots, making sure to coat carrots with flour mixture. Add oil and mix. Add milk and mix. Fold in raisins, almonds, and pour into cake pan. Even out the top (will be pretty thick), then cook 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely before frosting (recipe below).
Cream Cheese frosting
- 1 tub Tofutti cream cheese, softened
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) earth balance, softened
- 3/4 to 1 cup organic powdered sugar, to taste
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Whip cream cheese and earth balance until light and fully mixed. Add powdered sugar and mix. Taste, and add more sugar if necessary. Whip in lemon juice and zest, then place in fridge until you are ready to frost. Just before frosting, re-whip, then try not to eat the entire bowl before you get to the cake!
When the cake is fully frosted, I recommend placing in the freezer until you are ready to serve.
Feed Your Skin.
Rachel Winard, Soapwalla Chef