Smoothies are delicious and easy to make - in fact the hardest part is probably cleaning the blender afterward. Many people like to go with a banana base. Me, I prefer to let bananas be bananas, and stick to berries! They're crazy full of antioxidants, have wonderful flavor of course, and give a smoothie gorgeous color. Plus, frozen organic berries are available year round and work perfectly for that cold, thick consistency you're aiming for.
For this morning's smoothie I used the following:
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1/2 cup frozen cherries
- 1/2 cup vanilla soy yogurt
- enough almond milk to bring it to the right consistency - somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 of a cup
- a hearty squeeze of raw blue agave nectar
I'm hoping I'll be back on solid foods by, say, Monday? Until then, me and my blender can cozy up and make beautiful smoothies together...