Monday, May 23, 2011

Kale: A Vegan Obsession

In the past months, there has been a dramatic uptick in the mentions of kale - both within and outside of the vegan world. And for good reason! Kale absolutely rocks. It is the poster child for "nutritious and delicious."

Now, I still sense some skeptics in the room. I don't blame you - not so long ago I too was a kale n00b. People kept telling me to eat it raw. Raw kale? Blegh! "Marinate" it in salad dressing, they'd say. And I'd think, what, are you joking?!

I was quickly turned to the green side, but I eased myself in with this simple, lightly cooked recipe. If you're new to kale, or you're just looking for a delicious new preparation, give it a shot!

Mel's Simply Delicious Kale:
  • coarsely cut / chop one head of kale - I like to cut it up with my kitchen shears
  • in a large skillet with a lid, combine kale, about 1 Tbsp olive oil, and 1/4 to 1/2 cup of mirin rice wine - depending on how big a head of kale it is and personal taste
  • bring up to simmering over medium low heat, then put on lid and let simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 to 3 minutes (this is also to your preference - however much done you like your kale)
  • turn off heat and let cool** to room temperature; transferring to another container will speed up this process. keep all liquid from cooking in with your kale
  • once cooled, add juice of one lemon, about 1 Tbsp
  • chill, serve cold
Makes 2 to 4 servings... or 1, depending on how much you like kale. Did I just eat an entire head of kale? Yes, yes I did.

**Kale is a good source of iron, and iron is best absorbed in the presence of vitamin C. However, vitamin C is easily destroyed by heat. Therefore for the best nutritional impact, it's best to let the kale cool before adding your lemon juice and to serve this dish cold.

Enjoy!

No comments: