Sunday, September 6, 2009

Interview-Art You Dream About





Todays interview is with Rebecca of Art You Dream About



How did you choose the name of your shop and how long have you been a member of Etsy?

Originally, it started off as me wanting to find the perfect stationery. I failed. Then, I tried making my own, with no intent of ever selling it. Mine turned out really freaking awesome. I started thinking of tons of stationery, bookmarks, and cards that I could make using my photography. That's when I decided that I should start an Etsy shop (March of this year). Since my work came about, because I was searching for something I wished exist, but didn't, Art You Dream About seemed like the perfect choice. There was one glitch in the plan however. The first day I started taking pictures for the stationery, my camera broke! That forced me to come up with a plan b, which is what is currently in my shop. I decided just to use photos that I took in the past. I didn't want to make any stationery with those photos though, so everything took a very different turn. There are a variety of images of mine that I sell, which do have a dream-like quality (the Leaves photo, yellowjackets photo, graffiti wall photo, and the rain drop photo). The name also comes from the fact that I love anything bold, bright, and unique. I now do have a new camera, but I'm thinking carefully about how to proceed.



What do you sell in your shop?


I currently sell bookmarks, journals, and pendants.

What are some of your favorite things about etsy?



I love how creative some of the members are! Also, I think that seeing what others create, helps push me to create better work and to learn more skills. I also really love the Etsy community! I've made some real friend on there.

What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have?



I love petting kitty cats (I have 2)! I love books so much that I am now in school getting my Master's of Library and Information Science degree. When I'm not swamped with school work or playing with my cats, I'm playing on the internet or watching DVDs.

How long have you been vegan and what made you go vegan?



I was always very compassionate towards animals. In middle school, I wrote a story about a girl who worked at either a restaurant or butcher shop. One day she was in the meat locker, when she became locked inside of it. The meat became reanimated and started singing and dancing. I believe it was singing some line over and over again about getting revenge and killing her. Then in high school, I had to make a diorama in my photography class. Here again, animals getting revenge was the main theme. There were flying dogs (you could really make them fly across the sky! Not to brag, but I made an awesome diorama) with bloody human body parts in their mouths.

The interesting thing was that all of these thoughts were subconscious, and they only manifested themselves through my art. I started dating my husband in 2000, and he was a vegetarian. In 2003 he became vegan. EVENTUALLY, I became vegetarian, and then in 2006, I became vegan. I think it made perfect sense for me to be with a vegetarian, even if I thought I couldn't live without chicken for every meal. I probably do have to give props to my husband for setting an example for me to follow.

Do you have any favorite vegan things, like books, websites, stores, etc.?



I have to give a shoutout to thepostpunkkitchen.com! I also love the vegan mini mall in Portland, OR. Lula's Apothecary, Candle 79 and Blossom in NYC. Vegan Treats.... I could go on and on really.

What are your favorite foods?



Chocolate peanut butter ice cream, lasagna, Thai Chick-un Pizza (from the cookbook Eat, Drink, and Be Vegan), brownies, artichokes with garlic aioli.... hmm, maybe I need to start loving more healthy things.

Is there anything else you'd like to share?




My favorite book is The Time Traveler's Wife. I seriously urge you all to read it. I'm also a fan of The Collector, The Stranger Beside Me, Intensity, and other books I'm too sleepy to remember. The book that has left the most lasting impression on me is Geek Love, by Katherine Dunn. For some reason, that book was so dark and powerful, that even though it took me a VERY long time to get through, I just can't get it out of my mind. I hate to admit that there are some pretty fluffy things that I read, but at least I pick the least fluffy of the fluffy books, if that makes sense. That would include the Sookie Stackhouse books, which the True Blood series is based on. My favorite guilty pleasure book is.... I'm so embarrassed to admit this.... here goes.... Fortune by Erica Spindler. I have re-read that book more times than I have read any other book.

Thanks for reading about me!
-Rebecca Schaffer

No comments: