Sunday, February 15, 2009

Interview With Two Silver Stars


Today's interview is with Rachel of Two Silver Stars.

How did you choose the name of your shop and how long have you been a member of Etsy?

I've been a member of etsy since January 2008, but didn't start selling until late July. I've been using silverstars or twosilverstars as my online user name at other sites for about six years now, so I figured I would use it here as well. If silverstars is taken I add the "two". The name doesn't really reflect what I sell in my shop, I just thought it was pretty.

What kinds of items do you sell in your shop and what inspired you to start creating them?

I am a fantasy artist and I sell prints of my original paintings. I also sell items that feature my art like cameos, pocket mirrors, and greeting cards. I have a chronically overactive imagination so I am never short on ideas for my paintings. I love creating images that reflect the beauty and magic of nature.

What are some of your favorite things about etsy?

I love looking at the wide variety of creative things that people are making. It is so amazing and inspiring, and it's hard to get any work done when all I want to do is browse through the site all day.

Do you sell your items outside of etsy, either online or in retail shops?

I sell my art through my website, and there are also some companies that license my art for things like t-shirts and cross stitch patterns that are sold online and in retail stores.

Do you have any future plans for your shop?

I would love to expand my jewelry line, maybe make some OOAK (one of a kind) pieces. And I guess just adding to the variety of items that I offer.

What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have?

Besides painting, I also love baking vegan treats and experimenting with new vegan recipes. And I'm a big reader and have recently discovered the wonderful world of audio books which has enabled me to paint and read at the same time. So convenient!

Do you have any animal companions?

I have a "tuxedo" (black and white) rescue kitty named Stella who drools when she's happy.

Do you have any websites besides your shop that you would like to tell us about?

There is more info on how I create my art and some tutorials posted at my website: http://silverstars.us/ I also have a new blog: http://twosilverstars.blogspot.com/

How long have you been vegan and what made you go vegan?

I went veg when I was about sixteen because I saw a news segment on an e coli outbreak. They showed meat being ground at a factory, and told about a little boy who died from e coli poisoning he contracted from his first hamburger. I had never really thought much about what I ate until that point. Over the years after that I slowly learned more and more about the horrible treatment of animals, not just in the meat industry, but also for dairy and eggs and other by products like wool. It became obvious that veganism was really the only true cruelty-free option.

Do you have any favorite vegan things, like books, websites, stores, etc.?

I love my vegan cookbooks. Some of my favs are Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World, Vegan With A Vengeance, Eat Drink & Be Vegan, and the Uncheese Cookbook. I'm always looking to add to my collection. Also, Vegan Treats bakery in Bethlehem, PA. has the most divine treats ever to be created!

What are your favorite foods?

I have a pretty open mind when it comes to cooking and trying new recipes and foods, so it's hard to pick favorites. The fresher the better, fruits and veggies. I'm also a big fan of veganized comfort foods like mac & cheese and mashed potatoes. I have a serious sweet tooth so vegan caramel and marshmallows (Sweet & Sara!) are pretty high up on my list.

Is there anything else you would like to add or share?

Go Vegan!

No comments: