Saturday, October 15, 2011

Fudgariffic!!

Everybody loves fudge. It's a scientifically proven fact. I developed this rocky road fudge recipe in homage to days gone past, spending holidays around tons of relatives who would bake up a storm. Those days are gone but the memories remain, and now this fudge has become part of my holiday tradition.

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups of chocolate, coarsely chopped then measured
  • 2 cups (yes really, two cups) of powdered sugar (confectioners sugar)
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1/8 cup "milk" (I use Almond Breeze, but use whatever floats your boat - soy, rice, hemp, whatev)
  • 1/8 cup rum
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 cup marshmallows, quartered then measured
  • 1 and 1/2 cups walnuts, measured then roughly chopped
Steps:
  • Melt your chocolate. You can use a double boiler for this, but I've actually found that it isn't necessary. It's much more helpful to have a nonstick pot! Stir constantly, and remove from heat as soon as you only have a few little lumps yet. You want to heat your chocolate as little as possible, because you have to let it return to room temperature before using it. How does it stay liquid when it started out solid? Magic.
  • Line a 9x13 pan with parchment paper. I swear, this is why parchment exists, and I love it.
  • Chop your walnuts - how big or small depends on how you like it.
  • Quarter your marshmallows. I've used Dandies for this, but I feel that Sweet and Sara's would be wonderful as well - just a little pricey maybe. Note: marshmallows are very sticky when you cut them open! I find it helpful to use some powdered sugar on the chopping board and on my hands to coat the newly exposed sides, so that the marshmallows don't stick to the board, each other, or me... (Of course, if you can get ahold of the mini Dandies, no chopping is necessary!)
  • In a large bowl, whisk together coconut milk, other milk, rum, extract, and powdered sugar. (If your powdered sugar has little sugar rocks in it, run it through a sieve or sifter first.) Mix in your marshmallows and walnuts. (This is about when I switch from a whisk to a spatula. Walnuts + whisk = baagghhh.)
  • Stir in your ROOM TEMPERATURE chocolate. Seriously people. It cannot be hot... unless of course you want to make fudge soup.
  • Pour/scoop the mixture into your prepared pan, and use a spatula to spread it not quite to the edges.
  • Refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours, until completely firm. Then break into chunks or cut up, display nicely on a plate, and watch your loved ones go wild.
Fudgy.

Some additional notes...

*I like to use three 1 oz. squares of semi-sweet and six of unsweetened - plenty of sugar is added later!
*If you have bought a normal size can of coconut milk, this recipe is only going to use about a third of it. You may want to think about creative ways to use the rest - coconut milk goes bad quickly once opened! Of course, you *could* always make a triple batch...
*The rum here is optional - you can up the milk to 1/4 cup and leave it out. But I like the tiny punch it gives, and I swear it doesn't leave the fudge tasting very rummy. Conversely, you can do a full quarter cup and leave the milk out entirely!
*Eternal thanks to Celine of Have Cake, Will Travel, whose whiskey peanut fudge recipe started me on all of my crazy fudgy journeys.

2 comments:

Ekaterina Trayt said...

This sounds sinfully yummy!

GiGi said...

I'm allergic to rum, everything else in this fudge will do just fine. Great tradition.