Sunday, May 16, 2010

VET Member of the Week: Heather of Heathrock!


Hi! My name is Heather and I'm the "creator" of heathrock designs. Originally I'm from NJ (and will always be a Jersey girl at heart!), but have been living in Maryland for almost 5 years now. I was so shocked and thrilled that the "other" Heather from 3 AM Art Productions chose me for the next VET Member of the Week. I have enjoyed meeting all of my new vegan, creative friends and hope to continue this ongoing friendship and learning from each and every one of you. OK, I could keep rambling on and on, but then I would ruin the entire interview! So without further ado, I hope you guys enjoy the read! :)

How long have you been vegan, and what made you go vegan?

Since I'm in LOVE with my new lifestyle, I keep thinking I have been vegan forever. In reality, I have only been vegan for 6 months 28 days 22 hours and 25 minutes - ha ha... I know this because I became vegan when I bought Alicia Silverstone's book, The Kind Diet and joined her website, The Kind Life (and they tell you how long you have been a member on that site - I promise I'm not psycho!). So to make a long story shorter... first I started eating organic foods, then I became pescetarian (seafood only- pretty much a macrobiotic diet) then I went all out and just committed myself to my vegan life.

Do you have any animal companions?

Yes and I would have a boat load more if I could! Before I was smart enough to rescue, I found my American Bulldog, Socrates, while scanning the classified ads. He was being "sold" by a private owner whose pets just happened to have a litter. I fell in love with him instantly and forked over the cash. I talked them down to $400 but I would give up my life for him now. Our other addition is our little rescue kitty, Gaia. We have only had her for about 6 months but she has been a part of our family since we first laid eyes on her. She is a complete terror and is overly obsessed with Socrates. And we love every minute of it. :)

When did you open your Etsy shop, and how did you choose its name?

I opened my etsy shop in January of this year. And I chose the name "heathrock designs" because well, my nick name growing up was heathrock so I decided that it was appropriate. Plus it's kinda fun and easy to remember...isn't it?!

Why do you think it's important to buy handmade?

It's important to buy handmade because you're supporting a local business. Even if it's not your local community, it's still being handmade somewhere in the world. And on Etsy, it's a safe bet that it's a fair trade product so you don't have to worry about troublesome situations. Handmade is the only way because you feel and see the love in each creation. And that's something to be proud of.

When did you learn your craft, and how did you become interested in it?

I have always been creative whether it was art or writing or just by having a vivid imagination. I have only recently thought to sell my art and it's only due to the stupid economy. I am in love with all of my pieces so it's kinda hard to part with them, but my hope is that I give that love to whoever buys my art. Kinda like a pay it forward for love. :)

Briefly describe the process of your work, from idea to finished artwork:

Once I have the inspiration and drive, the process is pretty quick. I don't care about the mess... if I'm in a zone, I just go for it!

Do you have anything new you plan on adding to your store?

I'm going to continue making art until my dying day. During the summer, I work crazy hours, so I probably won't have too many new items... but the fall and winter are completely different stories. :) I constantly have *creative* ideas running through my head, so you never know what to expect!

What can we expect next for Heathrock?

I'm really trying to sell more (regardless of how much I want to keep all of my art!) so I guess I'll be handing out business cards and trying to promote my work as much as I can. And until I can sell on a regular basis, I guess I'll just have to be a starving artist with a passion. :)

Anything else you would like us to know?

Being that I'm a vegan, eco, animal activist, 10% of my sales will be donated to animal charities. If you have any questions regarding this, shoot me an email! You can also check out my blog, twitter feed, and facebook page. :)

3 comments:

3 AM Art said...

hahah, I love you called me the "other" Heather. :) So nice to get to know you more!!

Unknown said...

fab interview. I love the picture of your two on the sofa together - purrrrfect!

heather said...

thanks! :)