Sunday, July 12, 2009

Interview-Threaded Smiles

Todays interview is with Carla of Threaded Smiles






What is the name of your shop and where did it come from?

This name came from a few sources. I am not a big smiley person, I use thread for a lot of my work, and my boyfriend said some lyrics to an old song and together, while hanging out working on stuff and listening to some music, Threaded Smiles was born. I have been on Etsy for about 2 years, but didn’t start selling right away. My friend and I started as something fun to do and Etsy had this upcycling contest that we entered.



What kinds of items do you sell in your shop and what inspired you to start
creating them?



Well I am in the miscellaneous category. I started working with a friend on hoodies, patches, and cuffs for inspring people as a way of saying thanks. We ventured down different paths and I have worked on stationary, cards, clothing, and accessories for all sorts of people and companies. I started taking art classes when I was 5. I now switched my paintbrush for a needle and thread. I dream about things and write them down and out comes a design.

Do you donate to any charities?


I donate a portion of sales to Serenity Springs Animal Sanctuary and have donated to Spindletop American Pit Bull Terrier / American Staffordshire Terrier refuge in Houston, Texas.

What are some of your favorite things about etsy?


I like the fact that Etsy allows so many artists to join together and create subcommunities like all of us Vegan Etsians.


Do you sell your items outside of etsy, either online or in retail shops?



I do a lot of craft shows but mostly do screen printing work for bands, companies, and schools. I love having the creative freedom to do whatever and customers are totally into it.

Have you been featured anywhere?

I have been featured on Funky Finds, the 360 Magazine, and will soon be featured in a review for Latinos and Religious Art at Arizona State University.

Do you have any future plans for your shop?



I hope to introduce a children’s line and further push the wedding and special events products that I make such as invitations, tablecloths, and ties.

What kinds of hobbies and interests do you have?

I love art and music. I love being busy and always doing something. I enjoy going to local shows, hanging out with my kids, and spending time with the hunny. My family is a huge inspiration in my life.



Do you have any animal companions?



Oh yes, we have 4 rescued pups. Wag, our black lab, Gunnar and Quint our American Pit Bull Terriers, and Buttercup, our bulldog/boxer mix. We have a cat that hangs out name Buttercat and Boss the crab that wandered up to my front door one day.




Do you have any websites besides your shop that you would like to tell us
about?



Well of course every shop that a member of VET has is a must visit. Also, Spiral Diner is the BEST eatery in Fort Worth/Dallas. So if you ever come out here, you HAVE to go there. And if you haven't heard of it yet vegancraftsamples.com

How long have you been vegan and what made you go vegan?


I have been Vegan for 10 years. I was vegetarian for 4 years prior to that, but decided, I love the animals and what is the point of doing things halfway? I decided that I wanted to live my life clean and pure and raise my kids the same. I wouldn’t change my lifestyle for anything; I think Veganism shows compassion, power, and intelligence all at the same time.

Do you have any favorite vegan things, like books, websites, stores, etc.?

SerenitySpringsSanctuary.org



I love the Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes cook book because all recipes are created Vegan and are to die for!



What are your favorite foods?


I love spinach and hummus and kiwi and lots of fruit! Oh and Jeremy makes the best vegan birthday cakes!


Is there anything else you would like to add or share?

I love all things vegan and all things handmade, so thanks for having Vegan Etsy!

2 comments:

Embee Breedlove said...

Carla - I've always thought that your designs are some of the most unique and interesting on Etsy. Very cool. And I LOVE the pic of your babies running on the beach! Rescued popples couldn't hope for a better momma.

Anonymous said...

awesome interview, glad you finally got it up with some photos carla!
who knows what was happening with blogspot
thanks for the shoutout to vegancraftsamples.com too!!!
xoxo