- 1-1/2 cups UNSWEETENED nondairy milk (unflavored soy milk works well; I also find original unsweetened Almond Breeze almond milk to be good for cooking)
- 1 cube veggie bouillon (if you don't have one you like, try Rapunzel)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 3/4 cup chopped mushrooms (button or baby bella work best)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 or 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 or 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can French cut green beans
- 1-1/2 (24-ounce) canisters vegan French fried onions (French's is the classic - it's got a surprisingly minimal ingredient list!)
**Before you begin, preheat your oven to 350* Fahrenheit, chop all of your vegetables, and have your spices and other ingredients at the ready.
1. In a saucepan, heat the nondairy milk and veggie bouillon; stir until the bouillon cube disintegrates. Just heat the milk; do not allow to come to a boil.
2. In a skillet, heat the oil. Add the onions, mushrooms, and carrots; saute until the onions are translucent. Add the herbs and spices (basil, garlic, marjoram, oregano, pepper, sage, salt, and thyme - and whatever other hearty herbs make you happy).
3. Make a thickener by combining cornstarch and cold water; mix well. Pour into the nondairy milk-bouillon mixture. Stir well, because this will coagulate pretty quickly.
4. Quickly add the can of green beans, the sautéed veggies, and about half of the French fried onions; stir well. Pour that mixture into a casserole dish or pan and top with remaining French fried onions.
5. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the French fried onions begin to brown. Remove. Eat. Enjoy.
Makes: 4 to 6 servings, Preparation time: 10 minutes, Cooking time: 20 minutes. Feel free to double, but you may need to add a little baking time.
If the recipe looks familiar, it may be because Liz actually posted it on VegWeb a few years back. It has garnered a four star rating there, along with a ton of appreciative comments!
Happy Vegan Thanksgiving Baking, and Happy VeganMoFo Day 17!! :D